Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Week in the Life of an Akumal Adventurer






I can't use Akumal Beach Bum - it's already been taken! ;) xo

We arrived on Wednesday and spent the remaining part of that day getting settled in, getting the dogs acclimated, and relaxing. It was good to spend the night in our OWN bed! And it is a comfy bed, with a pillow top mattress. I would like to take one back to the States, but they won't take them on a plane and it's too big for the roof rack on the car for all that way.

Thursday was shopping and happy hour at Lol Ha (last post). Friday was some unpacking, more of getting the dogs used to where they are, and then Locals Happy Hour at Lol Ha. We saw a lot of friends there and made some new ones.

Saturday we took the dogs to the beach, which will be a separate post. Then happy hour again. You're in Akumal, you gotta be happy and you need to celebrate and let people know! Saturday night we went up to La Buena Vida for the Fiesta de Dia de Independencia. Lots of fun and lots of tequila! We saw Jen and Bart and Scott and Dani and Marcia and her dogs, Lacey and Alux, and a lot of other friends. I went back to the condo and got Solavina and took her up to the party with us, and she got to see her former caretaker, Heather. Lots of people were happy to see Vina and she just settled down in her spot under the bar like she had never left.

I always have a flag out at home in SF, so I had to have one out here for IndependenceDay.

Sunday, mas de mismo. Kind of a low key day, hanging out at the condo, and spending some time at the pool. The beach is still under repair, and we can't wait for that to reopen. We stopped at LBV for a beer in the afternoon, after we discovered that we aren't able to buy beer after 2 pm. Bob sat and talked with Falcone, one of our maintenance guys, and I sat on the stairs to LBV watching a wild life show at the garbage bodega. There were about 7 coatamundi there, including about 5 babies/young ones, a family of raccoons, and about seven our eight tabby striped kittens. It was amazing to watch the three species interacting together and frolicking and playing together. No fighting, no mishaps. They all just scavenged for food, and when one found some, the rest all gathered around and they shared. The Middle East could learn a lot from these cute, furry creatures. No camera with me, so I'll have to return for fotos. Hope that hey wear their best outfits for school picture day!

On Monday, we went over to Que Onda to pick up seven 25KG bags of dog food for delivery to Mahahual the next day. They were so heavy, I could barely lift them. Please don't ask me to do the math for how much they weigh in US measures. A LOT! We loaded the bags into the car and drove them over to our condo complex and stored them overnight in the bodega there.

Monday night was the night that Perre discovered that we were in town. She showed up around 6:00 pm and I had to put a leash on her and walk her home. She has been getting aggressive with other dogs that live here, and she went after another woman's cat that travels down here from Dallas. Plus, she comes around at odd hours and barks and disturbs residents and guests while they are sleeping. And her owner has made it pretty clear to me that he doesn't like it when she stays over here with us. I love the dog to pieces, but she has to learn that she can't be coming over here. So, every time she shows up - at 6 in the morning and at 6 at night, like clockwork - I have been just taking her home - no food, no affection, no attention, just discipline and commands. Once she is at her home, I cuddle her and hug her and give her lots of love. I left a bag of dog food there for her so I feed her there too, but I'm going to stop doing this because I don't want her to have the association between food and me. It breaks my heart not to be able to hug her and pet her and have her cuddle up on the sofa with me. I love her as one of my own dogs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that they would all get along, so that is another concern.

It still hasn't sunk in yet that we are HERE for a while! It still seems like vacation to me, not living... even though the dogs are here. They are having a great time and they have all adjusted well. We (Bob) had some concerns about having the four dogs in our condo, but it is not crowded at all. Usually, Missy is on the futon beside me. Bella is on the bed. Solavina has found the coolest space on the tile floor, beneath a ceiling fan, either in the living room or dining area. She has also taken a spot on the built-in sofa in the corner. Cejas just stays on one of the two dogs beds that are here - one at the edge of the dininr/living areas, and the other in the bedroom. I think we easily have room for four more dogs!

We went to Turtle Bay Cafe on Monday and met up with Jennifer and Dani and their dogs. We had taken Bella and Cejas with us - Missy and Solavina were at home. I took Bella over to the CEA to see Paul, but he hadn't returned from his trip yet. Paul is the man who originally adopted Bella and who had the pleasure of training her. Fun. We sat and talked with Jen and Dani and Bart... and the dogs just all hung out together. Another reunion where the dogs outnumbered the people! Jen's four dogs were there - Jessie, Jersey, Colonel and Daisy. Colonel and Cejas got along and didn't have a fight underneath a table and upset everyone's breakfast onto their laps, like they did when Cejas still lived down here a few years ago. Dani had her two dogs there, Dozer and Kikitun. And my two - Cejas and Bella. Eight dogs, five people. Daisy has learned to order bacon for herself. When any of the wait staff tries to come out of the kitchen, she blocks their path and growls at them until they give her bacon. She's so cute though, that it's adorable!

Tuesday we went to Mahahual to deliver the dog food.

No comments: