Monday, September 3, 2007

And we're off!




So, packing didn't go as well as I had hoped.

I packed just my favorite outfits, and was still twenty pounds too heavy for the weight limit for the car rack. And that was without Bob taking anything. So, I finally convinced Bob to get the Yakima rails... on Friday morning, when we were leaving the next morning. He got the rails on, the cargo box back on the car, and I got to take all of my favorite outfits, bathing suits, plus shoes and jewelry. I will have to spend half of my time there changing outfits. But, I'm going to be there for 90 days, so that's a minimum of 180 outfits... I really can't wear the same thing twice! :)

Our first stop is San Diego to visit with my brother and sister in law and my two nieces for Labor Day weekend. They live in Oceanside and have a pool and hot tub so it's like going to a resort.

We loaded up the car on Saturday morning and had a tight fit. We had to take part of the seat over from Bella and Solavina and Solavina lost her spot on the floor behind the driver's seat. But the two of them managed to stay comfy and sleep with their heads on our pillows. Missy and Cejas settled down in the back back for a long nap. All of the dogs did really well and slept most of the way to San Diego. We were lucky and didn't hit too much traffic, except on the Pacheco Pass Road, where they were supposed to be doing road construction, but of course, weren't, just had one side of the road closed. We got through LA without even having to really stop (unbelievable) and I got to see parts of Disneyland as we drove by on the 5.

We have had a great visit with my brother and his family. My nieces are just adorable and so much fun! We've been playing and swimming in the pool, and doing cannonballs, and playing duck basketball - that' s where you throw water balls into a duck innertube float. There has been a heat wave here and it's been almost 100 degrees. The dogs love it here too. They have a huge fenced in yard to run around in and love being able to just run and play. Solavina likes to listen to the coyotes at night but we won't let her go join them, as much as she would probably love to. It's been a wonderful weekend and we'd love to stay for another week. We hate to leave. But we have to cross the border by the 9th at the latest for the dogs' papers to still be good.

Tomorrow, we are off to Las Vegas to visit with Cheryl & Donny & Baylie, and to meet Helen, Dennis, Kristen, Kuma, Roxie, Macy, Izzie, Murphy and Tucker. And another pool! We are so excited to be seeing all of them, although we are so sad that we will miss Cooper, but know that he will be there with us in spirit.

3 comments:

Char said...

FABULOUS! Love your blog... love to read your stuff! I will buy your book soon as published! Now I can live in Akumal vicariously through you!

Hibernian said...

Sherwood, This is great. You have a calling with your writing. Peeing my pants reading about "Dog Adventures". Hope to see you soon. Thanks for including us in your blog.
Jim

Unknown said...

are you sure Cheryl is not writing this?
"I'm going to be there for 90 days, so that's a minimum of 180 outfits... I really can't wear the same thing twice! :)"