Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Night at La Aldea (Tuesday, September 11, 2007)

After our short tour of Palenque and our Mayan shopping spree, we went back to the car, which looked practically brand new, it was that clean! As we were driving down the long and winding road that leads back to the Aldea through the jungle, it started to drizzle, and then turned into a full out downpour. We got back to the hotel and sat on the porch, me in the hammock, Bob in the Mayan chair, and watched the rain and the lightning show. Soon enough, it let up, as storms in the tropics do, and the sun was back out, shining brightly. The raindrops were glistening on the leaves of the plants, and the butterflies returned to their flitting and flirting, and the birds were out singing again, and the chickens and New Guinea hens that are residents of the property were marching about in their single file parade and you soon never even knew that it had rained at all. We got in our swimsuits and went over to the pool, which was a funky round design, with a hot tub to one side (no, we can’t figure out a hot tub in the tropics, either) but it obviously hadn’t been used in some time because it was empty of water and had soda cups thrown in it. The pool was refreshing, if not quite cold, and we enjoyed a cerveza while admiring the garden and the flowers.

We went back to the room and changed and then took the dogs for their walks, in shifts – Cejas and Missy first, then Bella and Solavina. Bella and Vina and I discovered the chicken coop and saw about 30 hens and roosters back there, including some little baby chickens that were adorable! After we fed the dogs, it was time to feed ourselves, so we walked over to the little restaurant that is part of the hotel. It is a palapa building also, with open walls on all sides with a thatched palm frond roof. There is a little bar area in the corner, with big comfy sofas that reminded me of Que Onda, so we sat there. We ordered margaritas, and the bartender brought over some of the BEST margaritas that I have ever had (and trust me, I’ve had a LOT of margaritas in my time!) They were really simple – just fresh squeezed lime juice and tequila. That’s it. YUM! So good! (Maybe that is the recipe I should submit for Cheryl’s email? J ) I had two or three of them and then had to switch to Coronas before I fell asleep at the dinner table.

We ordered dinner and some appetizers. I had yummy nachos, that didn’t have meat or chicken on them, and that did have just the right amount of jalapeno to give them some kick without burning your mouth. Bob had black bean soup that was creamy and smooth and delicious. For dinner, I had cheese and spinach quesadillas that were to die for. Bob wanted to order Palenque chicken but I told him he couldn’t or I would cry – no way that chicken could be eaten when I had just seen them in their coop! So, Bob ended up ordering the fish fillet and that was really good. He was a little concerned about ordering fish so far inland, but there is a huge river right near Palenque that runs out to the Gulf, so the fish is fresh and local. I’m ok with eating fish. Most of the fish that you eat, I wouldn’t have as a pet. Which is pretty much my rule… I don’t eat anything that I would have as a pet. Except cheeseburgers, and I just pretend that they are fake meat! J

While we were having our cocktails, we heard Bella howling, and then all of the dogs barking, so I went over to investigate. One of the resident dogs, a little Rottweiler looking mix, was at the door, sniffing and wagging his tail, saying hello and greeting them to Palenque. I called him and whistled for him and he came trotting over to me, tail wagging, tongue hanging out. I patted him and called him “Gus” and told him to venga (come with me) and he followed me back to the restaurant, where he curled up next to me at the table and spent the rest of the night until his people came to get him to put him in bed. They told me his name is Doggo, but I like Gus better, so I’ll call him Gus! I called him Gus because he reminds me of one of my friends from Cupertino Electric – he’s cute and sexy!

There is another resident dog that lives at La Aldea, a basset hound named Maya. While we were having our dinner, Maya wandered over to the other guest of the hotel, who was at a table by himself, across from us. He was a youngish German guy, and was reading a book. Maya went over and just looked at him, and he leaned out and kicked her in her side. I about jumped over the table and strangled him. The dog did NOTHING but look at him! No whining, no begging, no jumping up… I didn’t know her name at the time, so I kissed kissed at her (that little sound you make, you know) and she waddled over to me. I gave her some French Fries and she looked up at me with those big, sad brown eyes and thanked me. So I gave her some more. Maya ended up getting most of my fries and a friend for life. Mean German guy ended up getting stink eye and an enemy for life and a curse put on him by yours truly. The woman that is the owner came over (after MGG had left) to put Maya in for the night – that’s when I found out the dog’s name. I kissed her goodnight, and she kissed me back, and off she toddled to her bed.

Soon, it was time for Bob and me to head to bed too, as we wanted to get an early start in the morning and FINALLY get to Akumal the next day – about an 8 or 9 hour drive. So, we got la cuenta and paid and just as we were leaving, a little black Pug came prancing in, with his tail curled over his back, just like Bella’s. So, of course I had to say hi to him and he was giving me little pug kisses with his little pug underbite! So cute! We got some bottles of water for the dogs (it’s always all about the dogs!) and went back to our little bungalow. We sat on the porch for a while and watched the lightning show, waiting for the impending storm, and I fell asleep in the hammock. My arm fell asleep too and that woke me up and I went inside and crawled in bed with Missy and Bella right next to me, of course, and Cejas curled up at the bottom of the bed (since he was still afraid of walking on the floor!) I woke up around 3:30 to what I thought was the sound of Solavina eating dog food, but it was the beginning of the storm, with big drops of rain landing on the roof and the skylight. I went out and laid in the hammock and listened to the rain and watched the lightning, but I soon had to go back inside because it was too COLD! I was shivering! I went back to sleep, with raindrops falling above my head, and was up again in a few hours to start the final day of our journey. The adventure will continue!

No comments: