Friday, September 14, 2007

Tuxpan Time (Sunday, September 9, 2007)

We were heading toward Tuxpan, where we were going to spend the night. The last hour of the trip became very slow – heading up the mountain roads, getting stuck behind trucks - I had better get used to that! We went into the main town of Tuxpan and didn’t see the hotel, so turned around and took the bypass road that continues on to Veracruz. We saw the hotel on the right and pulled in, not knowing what to expect – what a pleasant surprise! A quaint, quiet place, and our room was on a courtyard that looked out to the pool. It was still light out, so I took the dogs for their evening walk and we found a HUGE grassy area to the side of the hotel. Cejas was doing his running thing again and Missy was doing her rolling thing, and Bella and Solavina were doing their pulling me on their leashes thing. Cejas wandered over to the edge of the grass, so I followed the leader, and there was a huge body of water that I originally thought was a cenote. It turned out to be a river, winding down through the rain forest. It looked like something out of a movie, or an attraction at Disney World. The river curved around right behind the hotel property, and there was a fire burning off to the left, with the smoke swirling into the mist that hung above the river. To the left was a bridge that crossed the river - we had driven over it and turned around to get back to the hotel when we had passed the entrance. Birds were singing their evening songs, and crickets were chirping and tree frogs were making their little grunting and whistling sounds. It had been sprinkling our last few minutes up the mountain but had let up while I took the dogs out, but you could still smell the rain in the air, and the grass was nice and wet. We went back to the room and then Bob and I went to the restaurant on site for dinner. We finished off the dog food from SF back in Texas, since you aren’t supposed to bring dog food into Mexico, so it was Old Mother Hubbard’s cupboard at our house… bare! We ordered our dinners – I had enchiladas suiza, and Bob had mole chicken, and then ordered four chicken sandwiches to go. The nice waiter brought us one… so the dogs had to share and do with that. We gave them some beef jerky that we had too… They will never want to eat plain dog food again.

Our hotel room was nice and roomy. It had beautiful blue tile floors – that Cejas was afraid to walk on. He has a thing about tile floors. I don't know if it's the shine, or the slipperiness of them, but he freaks out over them. So, we put down all of the dog blankets and made a little route for him. We put his bed in one of the corners – he likes to sleep protected – and he curled up on that and spent the night there.

After feeding the dogs, I went to the pool and had a swim, and there at the edge of the pool, blinking and grinning at me, was a little toad! Only as big as my thumb! So, they must be my good luck toads! I think Eliza has sent them along with us for our trip to be our guardian toads. Some people get angels, I get toads. Angel toads!

As I was swimming, I saw lightning flashing in the sky to the west, so decided it was time to call it a night. I went back to the room and crawled in bed, with Bella beside me and Missy at my feet. We got two beds again, supposedly one for us and one for the dogs, but it always ends up one for me and the dogs and one for Bob. Solavina decided that Bob was lonely, so she curled up and slept with him all night. I was fast asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow, dreaming of winding roads, green country side and toads.

No comments: